Monday, April 4, 2011

Wow!! Someone actually knows what they are doing!

September 2007: I went back to the hospital to see a nurse practitioner that worked in the women's center. After telling her about all my symptoms she said it sounded like I had a thyroid problem. I told her that I had my thyroid tested in June. She asked " Where did you get the blood work done for your thyroid." I told her " Here at this hospital in the ER, but they told me nothing was wrong." She immediately had her nurse pull the lab reports. She came back in the room and said " No S*&# you don't have a thyroid problem!" You know something in wrong when your doctor swears in front of you. She said that the lab results from June showed my TSH( thyroid stimulant hormone) at a 6.9 The normal range for your TSH is (0.3-3.0) If your TSH is over 3.0 it is a sign that your thyroid is struggling to produce the proper amount of T4 and T3 needed to run your body correctly. So the pituitary gland has to put out more stimulant hormone to make the thyroid work harder. You would think the ER doctor would have caught this! One of the many things I've learned through this process is to always second guess everything you are told and to always do research on your own! My doctor could not believe that I was sent home from the ER without being notified that I had Hypothyroid. She proscribed me synthroid ( synthetic T4 hormone replacement) and told me I needed to go to a Endocrinologist because she was not really qualified to treat hypothyroid. I didn't want to go on a pill that I had to take everyday for the rest of my life that also came with a long list of side effects, but I thought I would give it a try for a few weeks. After 5 days of taking synthroid I felt worse than ever! My heart was racing and I couldn't keep any food down. I was constantly praying that I would feel better and that I would be able to know what to do to overcome this disease. I had a strong feeling that synthroid was not the right thing for me so I stopped taking it and started hours upon hours of research to determined why my thyroid was failing and if there was a natural way to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment