Monday, April 4, 2011

Let's start and the very beginning...it's a very good place to start

May 2007: I was sitting in a movie theater with my family, minding my own business when a little gland that I never paid any attention to decided it was time for it to be the center of attention. Enter THYROID with some major attitude problems. Within minutes I went from enjoying a nice day out with the family to having a horrible pain in my chest, heart palps and the left side of my body going numb. I quickly stood up and told my sister "I think I'm having a heart attack!" then passed out. Pretty darn embarrassing thing to do in a movie theater. An ambulance was called and I was taken to the ER. I was told that my EKG looked normal and there was nothing wrong with my heart. The ER doctor wasn't sure what had happened. A month later I realised that it was a panic attack!( a nice little way of my thyroid telling me it was ready to give up the ghost) I had another panic attack in my local mall and that was it for me! NO more going out of the house! Over the next few weeks I began to have panic attacks at night and during the day I could hardly eat because I was so nauseous. I knew something was very wrong so one night I went to the ER. They told me nothing was wrong and asked if I smoked or drank alcohol or caffeine. When I told them I did none of the above. The doctor said " Do you eat chocolate?" I said "Well I'm a woman..of course I do, and a lot of it!" And she said " That could be what's causing the heart issues!" With that being said they told me to go home and just try to relax. As you probably guessed, I was back in the ER a few nights later! I had been doing some research and thought I had a lot of symptoms of Hypothyroid. I asked the ER doctor to please test my thyroid. About an hour later he came in with the results and said "Everything looks great!" I was shocked! Then he said "Maybe you are just overly worried and it's making you feel unwell." A nice way of saying " You're mental and just think your sick!" I went home and cried,something I do not do too often. I felt hopeless! No doctors seemed to know why I was ill or care about what I was going through. The next 3 months were a nightmare! Every week new symptoms started showing up and the panic attacks had become so bad that I couldn't even walk to my mailbox to get the mail. I went to my local doctor and he ran a few blood test ( I passed out in his office) he told me that all my blood work looked good. By this time I'm tired of passing out in public places and I've decided I'm not going to see anymore doctors! When the summer was over I decided that I would give seeing a doctor one more try. I told my husband that this doctor was my last hope and if she can't figure out what is wrong with me I was just going to have to live with it!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Crystal - I have been reading through your blog and want to say thank you so much for taking the time to share your journey. I am 26 and i was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 3 days ago and have been doing my best to research some things about the disease. I was so thankful to finally have a diagnosis after feeling exteremely fatigued for so long. I realized after I started reading into Hashimotos that I have many questions for my doctor. Your blog is very interesting to me and as I continue to read I am sure I may have many questions for you. I have also been diagnosed with a B12 deficiency. I often have upset stomachs and I am wondering if I am allergic to dairy and/or gluten. Did you ask your doctor to test you for these food alergies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke,
    You are very welcome! I did ask my doctor to run the blood labs to see if I was allergic to any foods. Food alergies are so common now, most doctors will run them for you. Please feel free to ask me any questions.I know how confusing and upsetting this disease is. Keep me updated! :) Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't get the feeling of the heart attack thingy until 5 years after being diagnosed with Hashimotos. However, like you it seemed like overnight I had Hashimotos. One night on vacation I awoke from sleep with an upset stomach and that was the start of the downhill ride. My regular Doctor was useless and diagnosed me with everything but a thyroid issue. It wasn't until he went on vacation that his replacement quickly made the connection that there was a thyroid problem... and that was back in 2005.

    Since that time it has been a roller-coaster ride of symptoms. I began to realize that the majority of our physicians are at a loss when it comes to Hashimotos and that we have to figure out ourselves what is best for each of us.

    Like you, I've made some discoveries of what works and what doesn't. I'll share some of these in a comment to some of your blog posts.

    Glad you have this site. The best medicine is knowing you're not alone in your journey.

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! You sound like me! When I was 17 I got extremely sick and couldn't hold food down for a week, I felt like I was losing my mind, I felt so anxious and couldn't stop moving. My mom had to take me to the ER three different times. They couldn't find anything wrong! I am 30 now and have not felt right since that incident. I get random flare ups of both hypo and hyper symptoms. I've been on synthroid for years to no avail. I'm so relieved to find someone who experienced almost exactly what I did at the beginning. I'm looking forward to find out what's worked for you! I'm a mom of two, who's lost two pregnancies as well. I'm optimistic that I can feel healthy again and do it before we try for our last child. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take Nature thyroid and it works better than the other ones.

    ReplyDelete