Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Endocrinologist..Blah..blah..blah..

Still September 2007: So here's what I know. I have Hashimoto's Disease TSH of 6.9 (nurse practitioner retested to make sure the numbers were the same as they were in June) I have TPO antibodies at 602 and Synthroid did me no favors and I feel like utter crap! So off to the Endocrinologist that my nurse practitioner referred me too. This Endo is suppose to be "one of the best" in the state I live in, so I figure I'll give her a try. To make a long story short I drive an hour to see her only to get told that I have Hashimoto's Disease!! YOU THINK!! and there is nothing I can do about it. When I tell her that the Synthroid made me sick, she says " It's because when your thyroid is being attacked and in the process of dying you will have points where you are hyperthyroid." So I ask "then what am I suppose to do!" She says " We will just have to wait until the thyroid dies, then we will medicate you." I ask " How long will I have to wait for my thyroid to die?" Her reply " I don't know." ME: "Well I want to have children,will this effect me having children." HER: " Kids are overated anyways Hahahah!" Someone shoot me now!! I actually stood up and walk out of her office! I got into the car with my husband and started crying. It was official...NO ONE COULD HELP ME!

1 comment:

  1. I asked my Doctor if he could refer me to an Endocrinologist for years. Finally after much persistence he caved in. What a mistake... The Endocrinologist I saw worked at one of the local Universities. She listened to the story of my many symptoms. More importantly since I kept mentioning that when I increased my dosage of Synthroid I felt worse and had even more strange symptoms, she felt I may be allergic to it and prescribed Cytomel. I was to take it with no Synthroid. Well, within a month I felt like my body was caving in (chest tightness, breathing issues, muscle weakness, depression, anxiety, nervousness, etc). Did a blood test and was massively Hypothyroid. Went back to see the Endocrinologist with the blood results and she just shrugged them off. I had no choice but to go back on Synthroid as it was the lesser of two evils.

    It was not until 2011 that I discovered why I would feel worse on Synthroid or even when a dosage was increased.

    Steven

    ReplyDelete