Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Time to nip this in the bud!

Still February 2010: Oh Autoimmune disease how I loathe thee! On this journey I've been told by multiple doctors and Endocrinologist that there is NO CURE for Hashimoto's disease. They have even gone as far as to say that there is nothing you can do to lower TPO antibodies. Really?? That's not what my blood work has shown! Sadly most patients want a quick fix to the problem and the doctor is more that happy to give it to them in the form of a pill! The easy way for doctors to deal with Hashimoto's Hypothyroid is to put you on thyroid replacement therapy(a pill you have to take everyday for the rest of your life) and believe me that's not the end of it! Most people never feel 100% normal again and continually have to have there medication dose upped. When you take thyroid replacement hormone your thyroid eventually stops working on it's own and you become dependant on the medication. This was not an option for me! I knew there had to be something that was causing my immune system to attack my thyroid and I was determined to STOP it and give my thyroid a chance to live!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, it was great reading your blog and how well things have worked out for you. I am very happy to see there is hope for Hashimoto's. My little niece who is only 10 has been just diagnosed with the disease this May. Her antibodies are greater than 6500 where the norm is 60. Her mother and I we are both trying to find some guidance from the web as the doctors have done nothing. They said to just wait, as there is nothing they can do at this time. Do you know any parents of children with the same diagnoses? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Aga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aga,
    I'm so sorry to hear that your niece was diagnosed with Hashi's.
    The doctors are wrong when they say that there is nothing they can do now. I was told the same thing, just to let my thyroid die then they would medicate me. Believe me there are other options. I have met many parents who's children suffer from the disease. I would suggest first having your niece's doctor run a full food allergen panel through blood work. They will take a sample of her blood and test it against all the most common food allergies like dairy, wheat, nuts ect..Being that she has TPO antibodies of 6,500 that is a high indicater that she is having an allergic reaction to something. Talk to her doctor about letting her try a smaller dose of Selenium like 50mcg with 100IU of Vitamin E. Going on medication just treats the symptoms. It doesn't fix the root cause of the attack on the thyroid. Don't give up hope. It may take awhile but I truly believe that you can figure out what causes Hashimoto's in each person and that it can be reversed naturally. Please keep me updated and contact me with any questions! :)

    ReplyDelete